Life is Good: Prequel

After dealing with tons of work stress, deaths in the family and just all around crappy situations, this weekend was a huge breath of fresh air. For the first time in I don’t know how long, I didn’t worry about things or feel inadequate, I just truly enjoyed myself!

Things did not start off so smoothly, however, as the night before we left Rich decided to go on the weekly hammerfest road ride. We had nothing packed at this point, so I didn’t really want him to go, knowing I was going to get stuck doing everything, but I also knew this was his favorite ride all week and it was good for him. He had done some easy spinning on the trainer after his crash in the race Sunday, so I figured he probably needed to test out his hip and make sure everything felt ok/got loosened up for the trip.

I was in the middle of packing our nutrition stuff and getting food together when I got the call. Come pick me up, he said. Instantly, I worried something was wrong, but he sounded fine, so then I just got pissed. Not only was he not helping me pack, but now I had to leave to go get him instead of getting things done. As I got close to where I was supposed to meet him, I passed an ambulance and an EMT truck. At this point I began to panic, worried that this crash actually was something pretty serious. I got there and Rich’s glasses and iPhone were busted (glass everywhere) and his kit was ripped up pretty good, but he didn’t look too bad. He had some good road rash, but I knew that was nothing too serious to worry about. He of course was not happy with being taken down by another rider, especially after crashing Sunday, so he made a decision that he would not race this weekend.

We got home and of course, he needed to clean himself up and was in pain, so I had to finish the packing. I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off the rest of the evening, knowing I was probably forgetting a bunch of stuff we needed to bring. Ohh, and did I mention that I had just picked up my new car that morning. I had a ton of stuff to get done for work, but Rich wanted to take it on the trip, so I had to rush around and get a hitch put on it, so we could use the new Kuat NV I’d gotten for my birthday. All of this stress and craziness left me completely wiped out and not exactly looking forward to this trip, especially since Rich wouldn’t be racing.

Fast forward to Thursday morning and we are off, well almost. Rich decided he needed to buy some more bandages to bring with him, as we didn’t have a good selection of stuff to wrap around his arm and leg to hold things on. He got his supplies; while I met I ran into Dunkin Donuts and got us some coffee. We had a nice drive out, with very little traffic and we made good time. We decided to go check in at Kelly Acres before heading to the mountain since we had plenty of time before we were able to get on the course. Nancy was at the house when we arrive, and although she had warned me over the phone, it was sad not to see Einstein greeting us at the door.


About Crystal

I'm a professional archer who also enjoys participating in mountain biking, cyclocross, swimming and running races. I race more for the fun and excitement than for top places and awards (or at least I try!), and my true passion is coaching others. I have a weakness for ice cream and a good espresso. I love being outdoors, and my dream is to one day own 100 acres.

Posted on July 3, 2012, in Biking, Mountain Bike, Other, Racing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s